Pages

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Giraffe in the Bath, A Story

Giraffe in the Bath

Dear Dad,
The giraffe you gave me is no longer behaving himself. Having been so used to Africa and its wildlife, New York City (and our particular brand of wildlife) has proven to be too much of a shock.

Giraffe in question

Giraffe is so very homesick,

Giraffe in our fire escape basil.  Last night.
New York's changing seasons leave him cold,

So alone.

as do most worldly pleasures.

Where am I?  Who am I?
Too often I come home to find he's drowned his sorrows

"All men live enveloped in whale-lines. All are born with halters round their necks; but it is only when caught in the swift, sudden turn of death, that mortals realize the silent, subtle, ever present perils of life."
 in Melville and the best Brooklyn's has to offer:

Classic Giraffe, seeking solace in an IPA
Last night, I fear, was no exception.

Further down the rabbit hole.
We simply cannot keep up.

Beer before liquor, never sicker.
He is out of control.

I can't feel my legs.
And to make matters worse, 

Haven't you ever heard of knocking?

he urinates nightly in my bathtub


and takes comfort, however brief, in the dreamy nuzzle of my stuffed wall kitten.

"Because truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself." - Moby Dick

It is a problem.

The End.

Love,
J. Benny

P.S.  Many thanks to both Giraffe and Wall Kitten, who donated both their time and their good names to this project.

Giraffe, goofing off during takes.        Wall Kitten took a nap during the shoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment